Thursday, February 17, 2011

Electric Booger sucker to the rescue!



It is unfortunate that babies are not born knowing how to blow their nose. Because a baby with a stuffy snotty nose can surely be miserable! When my baby has a cold I feel so bad because not only can't she breathe, but it makes it difficult for her to nurse too! My friend Laura G swears by the electric nasal aspirators, like the one pictured above by Graco. She could not have gotten through the past two weeks with two sick little boys at home without the help of her electric booger sucker ("Trust me parents, it's WAY better than the plastic blue bulb!"). I promised her that I'd add it to the blog so we can save other mommies with stuffed up babies.

Why is it so much better? Much quicker at booger sucking! And this is important when you already have a screaming baby on your hands.

I, of course, ran out and got one of the electric booger suckers immediately after having learned about them, but I haven't had to use it much... I am lucky that my kids have not been very snotty. On few occassions, Kid #2 has benefitted from a good booger sucking, although she is not very fond of the booger sucking process. With Kid #1 it works perfectly as a bargaining tool: I ask her if she needs to blow her nose, she says no and runs away, I threaten her with the booger sucker, and she immediately changes her mind and blows her nose into a tissue. I consider that a success.

Just a tip if you are going to try it, before using the aspirator you can loosen things up a bit in that tiny baby nose with some saline drops first.

And another trick that I haven't tried yet: Baby Vicks on the bottom of their feet (with socks on to keep it from getting messy). Supposedly this works wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment